30 September 2007

Into the Wild

I just finished re-reading one of my favorite books (if you read this for long enough you may notice that every book i finish becomes my favorite). Into the Wild is a wonderful look at life. I would say it is far superior to Wild at Heart and addresses many of the same ideas.
I had to finish the book tonight because tomorrow is October 1. It would have been Lynne's 60th birthday. I remember telling her and Lindsey about this book when I read it the first time. Lynne read it right away and then read it to her high school English classes.
I really miss Lynne and the house on Echo. I miss her cough and her smell. I miss coming in the door to a one armed hug because the other hand was holding a cigarette. I miss the constant pouring and making of coffee. I miss being told "you have to have gravy on it!" I miss little bowls of seasonal candy (especially gummy hearts at Valentines Day). I miss her smile when her nose wrinkled up and her eyes squinted. I miss driving her car to the airport to get Jason for the Holidays. I miss the whole family being together and the "hell" Jered and Jason would give Lindsey (they still do that and it is still hard to not join in). I miss apple pies, chocolate cookies, gravy, stuffing, broccoli and chicken. I miss 8 chefs in a kitchen built for 1 and loving every minute of it. I miss being told to "Go look at the garden" when first arriving and the hope for a quick return when leaving.
As the arrival of baby Ellis gets closer and closer, it seems impossible that Lynne never had the chance to be Grandma Lynne. It definitely would have suited her.

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Thanks for sharing your memories. It was wonderful to read them. I am so very glad and thankful that you have them and that you remember them so vividly. Your words made me smile. . .and cry at the same time.

Anonymous said...

TJ, I know Lindsey tells you this often, but you really are an amazing man for her. She is so lucky to have had you by her side during all of the difficult times and all of the happy times too! I know Lynne would be so thankful to know how well you are taking care of her little girl.